BUILD GREEN, SAVE GREEN:
REDUCED PERMIT FEES
FOR BUILDING GREEN
Download a brochure containing the information on this webpage.
The California Coastal Commission is now offering a 40% discount on application fees for projects certified by the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) at a “Gold” level, or an equivalent Green Building certification.
HOW IT WORKS:
When you file your application with the Commission for construction of a green building that is proposed to be certified by the U.S. Green Building Council at the level of LEED Gold or higher (or equivalent 3rd party Green Building certification), submit 60% of the normally requested fee, plus the remaining 40% in the form of a letter of credit or acceptable cash substitute.
After construction, submit proof of your LEED Gold or higher certification (or equivalent 3rd party certification), and the Commission will release the letter of credit or acceptable cash substitute to you.
BENEFITS OF GREEN BUILDINGS:
Building "green" can bring about a variety of social, environmental, and economic benefits. Some examples include:
- Energy savings through solar site orientation, energy efficient designs, mechanical systems, and building materials, and well insulated structure and duct systems.
- Water savings through native and drought tolerant landscaping, use of recycled water for irrigation, and incorporation of efficient appliances and plumbing fixtures.
- Waste minimization through the use of recycled and reused materials and opportunities for onsite composting.
- Healthier homes and offices by minimizing materials and paints that emit hazardous chemicals, enhancing ventilation for improved indoor air quality, and utilizing non-toxic pest control measures.
- Cost savings & profits from greater resource efficiency, lower operating costs, improved occupant productivity, enhanced asset value, and optimized life-cycle economic performance.
For more information about green building certification, visit:
SAMPLE PERMIT FEE SAVINGS FOR GREEN BUILDING PROJECTS: (40% Reduction):
Single Family Residence (1,500 – 5,000 s.f.)
Savings of $1,800
(1,000 c.y. of grading and construction of five 1,500 – 5,000 s.f. single family residences)
Savings of $14,100
Savings of $3,000
Commercial Construction (25,001 - 50,000 s.f.)
Savings of $8,000