Support our programs by purchasing the NEW WHALE TAIL® License Plate
Welcome to the California Coastal Commission
Public Education Program
New and Notable Items:
- Coastweeks is September 19 through October 11! Find an event for you on the online calendar.
- Find all the coastal access points in California on the free YourCoast web app.
- Donate to the Protect Our Coast and Oceans Fund on your California tax form.
- Read the 2014 Public Education Program Annual Report
- Visit our Media Center for press releases, newsletters, PSAs and annual reports
KIDS' OCEAN DAY 2015
There were 7,000 California students who took part in KIDS' OCEAN DAY 2015, uniting to protect the ocean and urging the rest of us to do the same. They learned about ocean pollution prevention at school and then took a field trip to a beach to do a cleanup and form their amazing art messages on the sand. This image shows 900 students and volunteers at the Mike Thompson Wildlife Area in Humboldt County on June 3, organized by Friends of the Dunes in cooperation with the Bureau of Land Management. To see more images and learn more about this annual program funded by the WHALE TAIL® License Plate, visit the OceanDay.net.
California's official Marine Reptile: the Leatherback Sea Turtle
Artwork by Tim Malko, 12th grade honorable mention in the 2007 Coastal Art & Poetry Contest.
The leatherback sea turtle swims more than 6,000 miles to feed on jellies off the California coast, although it does not land on our beaches. This 100-million-year-old species outlived the dinosaurs but its population has declined by approximately 90 percent in the last 25 years. Learn more about leatherbacks.