Coastal Access Program: California Coastal Access Guide
The California coast, from the majestic redwoods and rocky shores in the north to the palm trees and wide, sandy beaches in the south, is an area of unsurpassed beauty and diversity.
We are pleased to announce the revised and expanded sixth edition of the California Coastal Access Guide, an essential handbook for both new and seasoned visitors exploring Californias majestic 1100-mile shoreline. With the most up-to-date maps and information, it is a useful guide for all beachgoers hikers, campers, swimmers, divers, wheelchair users, joggers, boaters detailing where to go, how to get there, and what facilities and type of environment to expect.
See sample pages from the Monterey County section of the Guide.
The Guide, published by University of California Press, contains:
- Information on more than 890 public access coastal areas
- Clear descriptions of campgrounds, trails, recreation areas, transportation, and parking
- Addresses, phone numbers, web sites, transit information, and hours of use
- Information on wheelchair-accessible facilities
- Easy-to-read charts listing facilities and topographical features
- 125 updated maps providing directions and driving distances
- 15 full-color county maps
- More than 300 illustrations
Also contained in this handbook is extensive information on environmental issues, updated to account for changing ecological conditions and conservation strategies. Feature articles cover a broad range of topics, including natural history, marine and coastal wildlife, environmental issues, and sports and recreation.
"Nothing less than a bible . . . the guide is no doubt the most comprehensive look at California's coastline published to date."
"Wonderfully detailed maps. . . . The graphics are clean, the design so clear that the book is splendidly easy to use."
--Los Angeles Times
"Three cheers for the California Coastal Commission, which has put a likely statewide bestseller on the bookstands."
--San Jose Mercury-News
Suggested retail price is
Publication Date: August 2003
To purchase the California Coastal Access Guide, see your local bookseller, or visit http://www.ucpress.edu/ or call 1-800-UCBOOKS.